[::..The Mind's the Standard of the Man..::]
On my off day today, I made a trip to Royal London Hospital to view the remains of Joseph Merrick also known as the Elephant Man- A man who had to live with uncontrolled growth on his body. Joseph was often ridiculed by the public for having such bad facial and body disfigurement. But some kind souls donated extensively for Royal London Hospital to house him on his last remaining years. Joseph died quietly and left an autobiography. In there, there was a very touching poem. Please take a few moment to look deep into our hearts.
Joseph Merrick
'The life and adventures of Joseph Carey Merrick'
This is true my form is something odd,
But blaming me is blaming God;
Could I create myself anew
I would not fail in pleasing you.
If I could reach from pole to pole
Or grasp the ocean with a span,
I would be measured by the soul;
The mind's the standard of the man.
"My Lord! I am in absolute need of the good You send me."